It had been many years in waiting for my parents to be able to send off a son on a mission....and the day is here!!! My little brother, Michael, has received his mission call to Santa Cruz, Bolivia. It is hard to believe that he is about to venture off to a far away country and speak Spanish for two entire years. Mike enters the MTC in Provo on June 25th. He will only be there for a few days, then will fly to the Peru MTC where he will spend the majority of his training.
June 25th is going to be a special day for our family. My cousin, Matt, is also entering the MTC on the 25th. Who would have ever thought that two sisters would be putting their baby boys in the MTC together. It is going to be a great family reunion full of tears of joy. I am looking forward to going down and seeing them both off on their missions. I know that it will be a great experience for my boys to be able to see the sacrifices that Mike and Matt are making to serve a mission. I couldn't ask for better examples for my children.
Although we are so happy for this new phase in Michael's life, we are going to miss him so much. Michael was just six years old when Chris and I were married, so we have truly watched him grow up. He is an awesome uncle to our children. He plays outside with them, jumps on the trampoline, takes them swimming and lets them know that he loves them. My kids have grown up with him and adore him to pieces and treasure the times they have spent with him. We love you Mike and are so happy for the choices you have made that allow you to serve the Lord in this way!

8 comments:
That makes me want to cry. We are all going to be a mess at his farewell!!!
Bolivia?? Wow. That is pretty impressive. Congratulations to him.
Hi Valynn--I saw the link to your blog from Julie's, and I thought I'd say hello! That's great that Michael's going to Bolivia. Kortney had better be figuring out what goodies she can ship overseas! lol! She's already told me she's going to miss him. Anyways, I know it's not fair for me to snoop on your blog and you not to be able to on mine, so if you want, just drop me an email: mikaelaselbe@yahoo.com, and I'll send you an invite if interested.
~Mikaela Selbe
Hey, we toured the Peru MTC, and it is beautiful. The best soccer field in Lima is there! And the president and Sister that run it are hysterical! They kept us cracking up through the whole tour. He better know Spanish pretty well. Most of the elders are native. But very nice. We got lots of smiles from them as we ran into them all over Peru and tried to tell them we were members. I'll be asking you all kinds of questions because I'll be in this same place next year! Congrats!
My youngest brother just returned from his mission. It is so hard to believe these little guys actually turn into men some day.
What a great mission call! It will be fun for your kids to send letters and care packages to him!
Congratulations Michael! Your family has a lot of excitement happening right now - Enjoy!
Where does the time go? I can't believe Michael is already 19 and going on a mission! Your Dad looks like he is going to burst with pride! (Or maybe shed a tear or two?) You have such a wonderful family. Please wish Michael all the best for us.
That is such a neat thing to have cousins going into the MTC at the same time! You hit home with me when you said your brother was only 6 when you were married. That is the same age my brother was when we got married. Time just keeps zippng by!
Post a Comment