Monday, July 5, 2010

HOME, SWEET HOME

First off: Recently I posted about my brother coming home from his mission and the song "My Wish". The lyrics remind me of how I felt about my brother being gone serving a mission. When my brother returned home, the very first thing he wanted to do was listen to the song "Home". He said he had been thinking of this song and waiting a long time to hear it. Watching him listen to this song and hearing these lyrics cemented the knowledge that choosing to serve a mission is a sacrifice. It isn't easy. It was hard for him too. So, Michael this is for you. I am so glad that you are home with us again. I love you!

Last week we traveled to the Tri-Cities to welcome my brother home from his mission. We have been anxiously awaiting this day for the past two years. Michael had been serving a mission for our church in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. My family was so excited for his return home and the kids were no exception. They decided it would be fun to make a welcome home sign for him.


We had people in the airport ask us if we were LDS and waiting for a missionary. I love the gospel and love that people notice how we live. These people, that we don't even know, were even excited for us to see him. Seeing him walk towards us was emotional and exciting.

It was hard to believe that he was standing on U.S. soil again. I asked him how it felt when he landed in Miami from Bolivia. I imagined it would be a bitter/sweet feeling...great to be in your home country but a sad realization that your mission is over and you are far away from the people you have grown to love. He said it didn't feel too different in Miami because everyone was speaking Spanish there too. My brother was traveling with a group of 11 elders from Bolivia that were all going home. I have never been on a plane and seen a group of missionaries traveling together, but I can imagine the joy they were sharing and the smiles on their faces...memories he will never forget.

Welcome home Elder Wilson!
My parents with my brother
We love our Uncle Mikey!

The first thing that Mike wanted to do when he got released was to jump into the pool...he hadn't been in water for two years.

Ready....set...bombs away!


Mike said the water felt awesome!
My dad watching Mike jump into the pool with his missionary suit on.

On Sunday, Michael gave a homecoming talk at church. It was wonderful hearing him speak. He had a difficult time speaking English and was struggling to remember words. For me, the most touching part of his talk was in his closing remarks. He said that he wanted to bare his testimony in the language that he been taught to share and teach the gospel. It was beautiful listening to his Spanish and his testimony. Even though I didn't know what he was saying, I knew that he was testifying of truth. It was evident that the Lord has truly blessed him with a language so that he could go about the Lord's business.
On Monday, the kids enjoyed playing some more in the pool. The weather was gorgeous was was perfect for swimming. There is nothing like 90+ degrees heat and splashing around in the pool. During all the fun, Tyler came crying in to the house that he had hurt his foot. We checked it out...all was good. He could bend his toes, wiggle them, etc. We told him he was fine and to go have fun.
The next morning, when I saw Tyler's now swollen, black and blue foot I decided it was time for a little visit to the E.R. When Tyler had to get stitches in February it was a all day event. I think we sat in the E.R. for a good hour before they even put us in a room. Once we were in a room it was another hour before he actually got stitched. Needless to say, I was expecting another long day in the E.R. for his foot....I was dreading having to wait for x-ray results. Well, let me tell you how much I love Kadlec Medical Center in the Tri-Cities. Tyler was put into a room as soon as we arrived. The doctor came right in and sent for a x-ray. That was quick too. We got the results that he did have a break in one of his toes, got fitted for his soft cast and was off. All in all, we were gone for a total of 40 minutes. Isn't that the best?!

Tyler following doctor's orders...reluctantly!

One of the evenings while we were swimming, we looked into the yard and saw this...

Isn't that just the most adorable thing? Hangin' with the cousins is the best!

With so many cousins around, the days were full of this....
and this....
Before we headed back to Spokane, we spent a day at the river with wave runners. The kids LOVED it! They couldn't get enough of going fast on the wave runners and being sprayed by river water.

Me and Cecily
My brother-in-law, Josh with his son, Brian.
When the kids weren't on the wave runners they were throwing and skipping rocks. What is it with boys and sticks?
Kaitlyn patiently waiting for her next turn.
My sister, Kim, and me.
As you can see, we are intently watching something. I think we were making sure our children were staying alive on the wave runners with their dads.

Check out these cheeks? They make me laugh. My niece, Emily.
Back in Spokane...
This year, we checked out the fireworks from one of the Red Lion Hotels. It was a perfect spot. We got into a suite with a giant balcony. The kids played some football while we waited for the magic to begin.



Hope everyone has been having a great summer!

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love the picture of Michael jumping in the pool with his suit!
You and Kimberley still look SO much alike. Are you ready for camp? Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

bowman family said...

I miss watching the fireworks at Red Lion:( Best view ever!!!!

andrea said...

Awesome. I love that your brother jumped into the pool with his suit on. I often think about my boys and how they will live without water for two summer while they are on their missions. I miss seeing you everday so this little update was fun to read.

Leslie said...

What a amazing experience and photos!!! I especially love the one of your brother jumping in the pool in his suit and the one with you and sister sitting together...you both have the same expression!

Anonymous said...

後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮