Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remember

I don't think I am the only one that feels that since September 11, 2001 life, as I knew it, changed. I remember waking up that morning and turning on the television as I was getting my kids some breakfast. I was in my pajamas sitting comfortably on the couch as I watched the horror unfold in New York. I was on the phone with my family trying to figure out where our dad was. He was out of town on business at the nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania that they believed one of the planes was headed to. Fortunately, he was fine. I can vividly remember the pit in my stomach as I watch the towers fall and realized the devastation that had occurred. Then, I got mad. When it became apparent that this was a horrific act of terrorism against innocent Americans who were going about their day, I was filled with patriotism and the desire to protect our country. I know that the United States is not perfect, but it is a great country. I am so privileged to have been born in this land of freedom.
After September 11th, you could drive down the streets and see flag after flag hung on nearly every house. Stores were completely sold out of flags. It was actually very emotional for me. I love this country and felt the urge to defend her. I loved how America rallied together, democrat, Republican, and Independent, became one. There was one goal...protect America and not let who did this go unpunished.
Now it's seven years later. This morning, as I was at the gym running, I was watching CNN and the memorial to those fallen during 9-11. Here I was going about another typical day. I was having a normal morning of getting up, heading to the gym for some exercise, etc. and it hit me that there are thousands of families this morning that are not having a typical day. It was heartbreaking to see these families and small children, eyes full of tears, as they laid wreaths of flowers on Ground Zero.
As I drove home, I noticed that I didn't see any flags out. Why is it that we forget so easily. I know I am guilty of this. This is one of the greatest assaults on America in all of history. Does it have to affect us personally in order to remember? I would hope not. So, I came home and hung our flag up. I am an proud American! I am grateful for the men and women who are defending our country and lives. They are true heroes. They endanger their lives each day in order for me to go about my day peacefully. So, I guess what I am trying to say is.....go hang your flag up and REMEMBER!

3 comments:

The Reading Armadillo said...

Thanks for your sentiments. I wholeheartedly agree. I was teaching this morning, and realized that my students were only two when this happened. They were asking me about it, and I choked up as I tried to explain my feelings about 9/11. I actually saw lots of flags out today and was very proud.

Carolyn said...

Well put! I loved listening to the music you chose while reading this post. I'm loving my country right now! Thank you for the reminder of how blessed we are.

Lara said...

It was a strange day all right. So ordinary (thanks to those who protect our freedom) and still hard to think about what happened 7years ago now.