Sunday, August 31, 2008

3 1/2 years served, and now.....I'm free!

I can't believe that this day is here. I have been serving as the first counselor in the Young Women Organization in our church for the past 3 1/2 years, and today I was released. I have seen much in my years there. There have been three Young Women Presidents that have come and gone. Counselors that have come and gone, and today it was ME! It was a bitter sweet feeling as they released us all. I have really loved the group of girls that are in our ward right now. I could honestly say that each one of them is enjoyable to be around...not the case in the prior years. There have been bumps in the road, tears shed over difficult situations, and frustration beyond words, but I truly love those girls. I was even talking to my bishop about how far some of them have come. The ones that I would have thought would be happy to get rid of me, were actually really upset with me being released. Who would have guess? :) It has been a blessing to me seeing the girls mature and grow into strong young women who know that they are each a daughter of God. I feel at peace knowing that they each know who they are and where they came from. We have amazing youth with brilliant spirit.

I have to say that I was a little lost at church today. I wasn't sure what to do. Luckily my friend, Jodi, had asked me to help fill in at Primary, or I would have felt like a lost and wandering soul. It was strange walking by the Young Women room and seeing them all in there going about their business, and knowing that I didn't need to worry about any of it. Strange but freeing feeling. I am feeling very light weight for the moment! If everyone keeps quiet maybe I can hide under the radar for a while! :) I'm just kiddin. I actually love serving.

I am so grateful to be part of a church that is run by it's people. I am grateful for the challenges that I face while serving and the lessons that I learn that help me to grow. I am also thankful for the people that I have served with. I have learned so much from each and every one of them. I am especially going to miss Karyn. She is filled with wisdom and love. She has been a great example to me and I will miss serving with her dearly. What an awesome church I belong to!

7 comments:

bowman family said...

Hooray!!! Finally the time has come. Now, what's next? I'm thinking stake Young Woman's Pres :)

Mikaela said...

That is such a long time to serve in a calling, especially one as busy as YWs...I know the feeling of being released after a VERY lengthly amount of time....so yay for you! I'm sure you won't stay calling-less for long!

Chase and Elise said...

The day has finally come! Congrats lynn!! Hope school is going well for you guys! miss you all! xoxo

Kristin said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I am doing a little happy dance for you. As one who has traveled part of that long journey with you I know first hand what a great leader and role model you have been to all those girls. They have been so lucky to have you...even when they didn't know it!! ;)

Who are the new presidency? I know you won't stay calling-less for long...you are too much of a talent and asset to your ward. I'm with Kim on the Stake YW President!!

Some day I will return to the gym...I'm sure you have been going regularly...you are my inspiration. We have all been sick for weeks and are hopefully on the mend. Now I just have to get back in my groove.

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

OMG I was laughing out loud just with the title and song!! I know you are so relieved, but you definitely going through withdrawls when you channel so darn much energy into that part of your life and then boom, it's all gone in a day. I know exactly how you feel. Embarrassed to admit, I'm still sort of in withdrawl mode!

Allison said...

Is Janyse's last name Krumperman? If so, then I do know her from my teenage years. She was a year older than me and I always looked up to her. It's a small world after all! Is she in the ward?

Starnes fam said...

Hey....I'm 1st counselor right now in YW! How funny! I was TERRIFIED when they put me in but I absolutely LOVE this calling. I hope I get to stay in for 3 and a half years too!