Sunday, May 2, 2010

Time Out...So Needed!



This weekend I had the opportunity to attend Time Out For Women which is an event put on by a company affiliated with our church. There were over 2,200 women in attendance this year. It is great to be able to attend events with people of my same faith and feel the the power that comes from being an woman, mother, wife, friend, and a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.



The theme this year was HOPE. I think with all of uncertainties in the world today that this was the perfect message for us all to hear. Having hope is essential in having a happy life. Most importantly though, is having hope in Christ and His power to relieve you from your burdens.



Some of the topics that were touched on were: enjoying motherhood, authentic happiness, and overcoming trials. One of the speakers that touched me the most was Mariana Kallon. She was raised in the war torn area of Sierra Leone. While living there she experienced seeing her parents killed by being shot in the back while her family was trying to flee from rebels, being gang raped, watching her sister's arms and legs being cut off after being raped, and staying alive with only the clothes on her back and a hygiene kit she had been given. The horrific experiences she has been through are unimaginable to me and I was awed by her love and gratitude for God. She was a fantastic speaker who expressed how the tender mercies of the Lord have blessed her life and given her hope when life seemed dismal.



Another speaker challenged us to pick one thing off her list of seven things to help increase our happiness. I chose "Savor Everyday Delights". She reminded us that President Hinckley said, "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured". She asked us to make a list of some small changes we could make in assisting our days to be more delightful...here's mine:



Savor delight in 10 tiny changes



1. smile at someone each day

2. notice one thing in nature each day

3. meaningful scripture study

4. make a point of telling my kids each day that I love them

5. read two books every day with Kyle

6. smile when Kyle is helping with laundry

7. tell someone thank you every day

8. name one thing I am grateful for each night

9. look my kids in the face when they are talking to me

10. feel no guilt when I eat some chocolate every day!



I am so glad that I went to Time Out for Women. I feel renewed and ready to take on the challenges that face me each day. I know that I am not perfect, and will never be, and can say that it's okay. I do have hope that I am at least improving a little each day of becoming a better mother and wife. I am grateful for the friendships that I have and the girl time we got. We had a awesome time and I am looking forward to 2012 when we can go again!


Kristin, Leslie, me, and Carolyn.


There was a larger group of us, but this is all that I got.


Chris, thanks for being Mister Mom and driving the kids to all their activities...I love you!


3 comments:

Leslie said...

Being my first time attending "Time Out for Woman", it left me spiritually uplifted. Mariana message also touched me in way that made me realizes that we are selfish, piety and ungrateful Americans. We are so fortunate to be living in a land that we have freedom and rights. Thank you for letting me be part of your group and introducing me to your friends.

P.S. Yes, I took those photos in Hawaii...actually 98% of the photos on my blog, I took...except the two family photos and the photos of Blake and myself.

P.S.S. I copying the photo of us, so I can use it on my next post...see you tomorrow!

Mikaela said...

TOFW was AWESOME! This was my first experience at going. I'm glad you had a fun time. I saw you from a distance, but never made it over to you! :) Btw, your hair's gotten so long since I've seen you last. It looks great!!

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Loved it!!! It's getting harder to keep the changes going 3 days out! And I am now very grateful for my shoes! (and legs to put them on)