I can hardly believe that this time has come. My brother is coming home from his mission in just a few weeks. He will be flying home on the 26th of this month. My entire family is so excited and we can barely contain ourselves! Since my brother is the baby of the family, and the only boy, it was difficult saying goodbye to him for two entire years. I couldn't even talk to my sisters without tearing up as we talked about Mike and wondering how HE was holding up.
My entire family was present when Michael was set apart as a missionary. To say that it was emotional is an understatement...I come from a crying family I guess. We were all crying as we gave our hugs and said goodbye to him. However, it became full on hyperventilating as we watched my little brother run up to my husband and embrace him as they literally wept together saying goodbye. It was touching and gave me the realization that this was hard for, not only us, but Michael too.
After nearly two years, I will finally be able to listen to Rascal Flatts song ‘My Wish’ again. Two years ago I was sitting at this very computer writing a post about my brother leaving on his mission when the song, ‘My Wish’ began playing on the radio. As I listened to the lyrics of the song I began bawling. I felt the song expressed what I was having a difficult time articulating. These are the lyrics in the song that hit me:
I hope you never look back, but ya never forget,
All the ones who love you, in the place you left,
I hope you always forgive, and you never regret,
And you help somebody every chance you get,
Oh, you find God's grace, in every mistake,
And you always give more than you take.
But more than anything, yeah, and more than anything,
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.
Once my brother had left, I felt this feeling of “I hope he knows we love him, are praying for him, and that he isn’t feeling alone.” He had left the place that he calls home to go to the MTC, in a foreign country. He didn’t speak Spanish, which is all they speak at the Peru MTC. The hardest part was that I couldn’t talk to him on the phone and hear his voice.
Derek Durrant, who was in our ward, had recently returned from his mission in Lima, Peru and was heading back there for a visit. My brother was serving in Lima at the time and was having a difficult time because he hadn't gotten to his mission in Bolivia yet and was feeling discouraged. It just so happened that Derek was going to be staying in the very area that my brother was serving in and graciously took him some homemade cookies that I had made...a tender mercy from the Lord. It was great having Derek check-up on Mike for our family and let us know how he was doing.
I knew that it would be an amazing experience for Michael to serve a mission, but that it would be difficult the first while. I am grateful that Michael has had the experience to serve a mission. I am excited to see how much he has grown and changed physically, emotionally and spiritually. I know he has been a great missionary and has touched many people’s lives. I am grateful that the Lord gives us obstacles or overcome, challenges to make us stronger, and opportunities for us to grow. However….I’m sure glad he is coming HOME!!!!
P-day in Peru.
9 comments:
What a beautiful tribute to your brother!!!! He's so fortunate to have a family who truly love him and wish him every wish he ever desire!!! How great that Derek got to visit with your brother!!! I love the photo of him on the box in the water...such happiness that radiates from his face...he seem like a really special person. Happy for your family to have him return back into your mist.
oh I am so excited for him to come home!!! I seriously thought this month would never come. I was looking at my calendar the other day and we only get an email from him 3 more times before we actually see him. Thats crazy.
I can hardly stand it!!! I wish Mason & I could have been there when he was set apart.
He'll be here before we know it! I always look at the count down in moms kitchen and get so excited that it's almost done!!! I hope he's ready for LOTS of hugs at the airport!
What an exciting thing for your family for sure!!! I actually got to see Mike the day before he went into the MTC. I was visiting my niece Cydney when your parents arrived with him. I can't believe that was two years ago. Now maybe Kortney will smarten up and chase Mike. haha!
This was such a great post!! That last picture looks like it should be in the Ensign! I'm so excited for you. It gives me hope there's light at the end of the tunnel!
That was such a great post. Your brother is so lucky to have such a loving family. What a great example for your boys too.
I hope my older kids love their little brother like your family! This was such a touching post.
p.s. Has it seriously been 2 years already????
This was one of the most beautiful posts I have read! You have an amazing family! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!
Post a Comment