Friday, December 19, 2008

Let it Snow! Let it Snow!

If you have been asking yourself what the Holland family has been up to lately, we have been busy with this....

Notice how high the snow is up to by the fence. This is not a pile from shoveling...it's the real thing!

It began snowing Wednesday around noon and stopped Thursday night. Wednesday evening the South Hill was shut down. No cars up or down. Chains were required for all South Hill roads. Luckily Chris was able to make it home...we do love 4-wheel drive. We broke the all time record of snowfall in a 24 hour period by over SIX inches!!!! As of Thursday evening we had 20 inches in our yard. I have lost count now. Besides, when you have this much snow, whats a few more inches. It is absolutely insane around here. There is no mail, the mall is shut down ( I still have Christmas shopping), the majority of businesses are closed, and the hospital has even cancelled all surgeries except those that are emergencies! I even heard that gas stations have run out of fuel because the trucks can't make it to them.

It feels like we haven't stopped shoveling in the past two days. We will go and clear the driveway, and by the time we have finished, it's time to start at the beginning again. I actually don't even know why we are making such an effort to clear our driveway, because we couldn't go anywhere if we desired. Chris tried getting to work today and got stuck with the 4-wheel drive in front of our house. Guess we will wait a little longer! Road crews are hoping to get to residential streets in the next few days....and that's only if the snow has completely stopped falling.

If we can't go anywhere.....I guess we just PLAY!!!!


Kyle is bundled up and ready to play!



Jamen and Kaitlyn have been having fun digging snow caves.


What a good helper



We will see you in the Spring when the snow melts!!!! Until then...shovel, shovel, shovel!

6 comments:

The Reading Armadillo said...

Holy cow! That is crazy. At least you guys are good sports about it. I admit, that does look like fun to play in. I wish you luck. I'm betting that you won't see your road again until spring :)

Matt and Crystal said...

I heard it was bad up there, i didnt believe it until i saw it!! Dont lose your children in the snow, i would still like to see them next year!!! Hopefully you guys can still make it down to Pasco for Christmas!!

Starnes fam said...

Holy Cow! That is absolutely INSANE! We have seen clips of Spokane on the news down here! I think its safe to say you guys will have a VERY white Christmas!

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Those are such great pictures! I want to try digging a snow cave! Looks like a good skill to have. Our neighbors got fed up and paid someone to come plow our street with a bobcat. You need connections! (and chains!)

peterandholly said...

Wow! You make us look like real wimps here in Seattle! The picture of your fence is amazing! At least the kids are enjoying it. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Tobler Bunch said...

I had heard that weather was bad your way, but oh my goodness, I never imagined that it would be that bad! You survived it?! But, it sure looks beautiful!