Friday, March 21, 2008

March Madness

Chris and I have had this little tradition with March Madness. Each year, we separately fill out a bracket sheet for the basketball tournament predicting all of the games. I don't know why, but it is something that I really enjoy doing..maybe it's because I am undefeated so far! For the most part, this is the only time that we watch sports together. I totally get into the games because I have braggin' rights on the line. I watch the games, call Chris to rub in all of his losses, and am pretty much a couch potato for a few weeks. This has become such a fun time for us to enjoy sports together, that we even went to the first and second round of the tournament three years ago. We met our good friends, Shawn and Crysti Murphy, there and had the best time together. We carried around our bracket sheets and kept it updated at all times. I have a very hi-tech system going to keep track of our wins and loses... wins are highlighted in yellow and loses are crossed out in red! Ingenious isn't it?!
This year our kids have now decided to join us with our madness....now I have 5 bracket sheets to keep track of! We sat down together as a family and filled out our brackets. Our techniques vary so much. Tyler takes WSU and Gonzaga far because he likes them, and then all other games are solely determined by which team is ranked higher. Jamen and Kaitlyn stick to the ranked teams winning. I pick the teams that I like and the teams that I think have better names. (it's a very intellectual concept!) Then there is Chris. He pays close attention to the polls and to each team's strengths and weaknesses before predicting the winners. This is only the second day of the tournament, and Tyler is beating us all! He is loving it and we are all having so much fun. Jamen was especially excited this morning because his class was going to watch the Gonzaga game during school...gotta love that!!! We will let you know who ends up winning the braggin' rights for the next year! Go Cougs!!!

4 comments:

Lara said...

Hey, if you are surrounded by it - you might as well join in and have a great time.

Sounds like fun. Basketball is the only sport that I really enjoy watching. Hope you pull ahead and win again!!!!

Time Out sounds like fun - I'll have to do it some year.

Jayni and Jake said...

Okay, so you talked me into filling out the brackets this year.....remember you telling me about it last year? We'll see how it goes - I need to get into it more......I can do it!

emahaf said...

That sounds like such a fun tradition to do with your family, maybe kim and I will have to try that next year.

Carolyn said...

Andrew and I do the same thing! At the end, we go to dinner and the winner picks the restaurant. What a great idea to include the family!