The last couple of weeks I have been contemplating beauty and the world's view on it. I want my daughter to feel beautiful even if the world's definition is a little different. I read this quote from Audrey Hepburn and loved it. Here are a few of her beauty tips: "For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For poise, walk in knowledge you'll never walk alone. The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love is. The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, but true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows, and the beauty of a woman with passing years-only grows!"
It is not that I have never heard this or that it was a "light bulb moment" , but I have come to the conclusion, or maybe I should say better understanding, that true happiness and beauty comes through a better knowledge and understanding of our divine nature. I know that we all have moments and feelings of unworth at times, but then does that mean our focus needs to be redirected? I know that I feel better about myself when I am focused on the needs of others than on my own worldly desires. I think that if any of us desire more beauty it is best achieved through charitable acts and service, which leads to self-worth and feeling beautiful even if we have a few lumps here and there, or facial blemishes (which I have right now). When we feel good about ourselves...it shows..and it deminstrates itself in what I would describe as beauty! I know that this is what I want to teach my sons and daughter.
4 comments:
So true!!!! Love that quote!!! I'm going to save it for my daughter.
You're such a great person Valynn! I love that quote! And it's so great you're instilling this inside of your cute kids right now! Love ya - OH! I like that sugardoodle.net site - seems like a great one!
Oh my goodness - I'm doing our whole Stake activity days on this exact topic! I'll definitely be using that quote. Thank you for posting it. :-)
I love how beautiful this post is. This is exactly what I want to be teaching Mimi. Thanks for putting it into such eloquent words!
Post a Comment