Sunday, January 27, 2008

In Our Thoughts


Our hearts are filled with great admiration and sadness this evening as we ponder the news that our prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, has passed away. What a tremendous man he was. Our family loved listening to him speak. We enjoyed watching his interviews with 60 Minutes, PBS and from those not of our faith. We found him to be intelligent, compassionate, deeply spiritual (but with a sense of humor), and most of all optimistic. No matter the conditions of the world, he always had such a happy and cheerful outlook on the future. We are so grateful for his dedication to his calling and our church.


When the Spokane Temple was dedicated, we were blessed with the opportunity to be in the Celestial Room of the temple with President Hinckley and his wife for the dedication. It is difficult to describe the overwhelming feelings of love, respect and peace that came upon the room when he entered in. His love for the Lord and all the members of the church truly felt tangible that day. As all of our hearts were overwhelmed with the Spirit, it was impossible to hold back the tears. It is a day that Chris and I hold dear to our hearts and will always remember.


As we were discussing the news with our children, we realized just how much of an influence he has had in their lives. He is the only prophet that our children have ever know or heard speak. With the exception of President Hunter, he has been the prophet throughout our marriage. His picture brings a smile to our faces and he will be greatly missed.

3 comments:

Jayni and Jake said...

What a great opportunity to be in the celestial room with President Hinckley. I remember seeing him in the car right behind us when we were in Utah this last summer & I was soooo ecstatic - I wanted to get out & Kiss him. HOw Spiritually awesome that must have been to be with him in the temple. Neat! I love him!

Carolyn said...

What a beautiful post about a wonderful prophet. Andrew and I were also in the temple during the dedication. I will always cherish that memory too.

p.s. I hope all this snow isn't making you want to move to Tri-cities. ;-)

Elise said...

That is a great picture of President Hinckley. He will be missed by all. Sam cried for like 20 minutes when we told him. Such a softie. I found your blog through Jayni's. Hope to keep in touch!

Elise